Friday, October 9, 2009

What IS normal?

Got my fourth post-op period yesterday.  It was painful, but not AS painful as they were pre-op.  The worst part is very intense sharp pains in my ovary area (those have gotten worse since surgery), so I wonder if they are twisting up again.  Maybe adhesions could cause them to do that, not necessarily endo?  I do believe that my doctor removed some endo, but there is either some left, the adhesions and scar tissue are really what's causing my pain, or I have adenomyosis. 

My husband asked me if I was just getting cramps like everyone else does, or if they really are bad endo cramps again.  I get what he was getting at -- are these cramps normal ones that someone without endo gets? I don't think so -- the pain is pretty bad, and it's sharp, not a dull cramping. I honestly don't know what it's like to have a "normal" period.  Other people I've known (without endo) don't ever mention their period or pain, so I have to believe the pain I am still feeling isn't normal.

I've also heard people who go through labor and childbirth say labor pains are like "really bad period cramps".  So I wonder, bad cramps for THEM?  Would I tolerate it just fine?  I mean, if labor is worse than my kind of cramps, then that scares the crap out of me and honestly could affect my decision on having children!

1 comment:

  1. Hi

    No, the sharp pains are not uterus period pains, I get those as well as my SHARP-I'VE-BEEN-SHOT pains caused by adenomyosis. And no, labour pains are not as bad and certainly not worse than the pain from adenomyosis. Uterine period pains are dull and sometimes throbbing and in the middle and they usually go away once blood has been released. Don't be scared of labour. It hurts, but not as bad as this.

    ReplyDelete